Sacred is Proud to Announce that it is officially B Corp Certified!
We are thrilled to announce that we have joined the #BCorp movement, joining 26 other inspiring distilleries around the world.
So what is B Corp and how did we get certified?
B Corp is a certification awarded to companies who have an exceptional commitment to environmental and social responsibility.
"Certified B Corporations are businesses that meet the highest standard of verified social and environmental performance, public transparency, and legal accountability to balance profit and purpose." B Corp
This is judged by completing an extensive audit of company practices and improvements which we have been working towards for nearly two years, finally completing with 93.6 points. To put this in perspective, to achieve B Corp status, a company must score 80 points on B Corp's Impact Assessment and most companies in the UK rank at 40-50 points - to find out more about how we scored click - here.
The audit covers five key areas of company operations.
(1) Governance - We have made a legal commitment by amending our Articles of Association to be responsible not just for profit but also for our social and environmental impact.
(2) Workers - We are a National Living Wage accredited employer with a very high proportion of female staff and management and encourage our staff to pursue career development. We also recruit blind which means that all names and identifiers of background are removed from CVs before candidates are selected to be interviewed, ensuring that everyone has an equal opportunity of employment with Sacred.
(3) Community - We are well-known for actively engaging with our North London community, participating in and contributing to local events and charities.
(4) Environmental - This is by far the most heavily weighted section in the assessment - and the one in which we scored the most marks. For example, our method of distilling - via vacuum distillation - uses 90% less energy than a traditional pot still. We designed an innovative closed-loop condensation water circulator which reduces the amount of water we use by 120,000 litres a year and in 2021 our distillery and shops sent zero waste to landfill. The packaging used to wrap every purchase from our online store is protective, plastic free, fully recyclable and we offset every gram of CO₂ emission produced by deliveries to online customers. We are assessed to the very highest standards of traceability by the Soil Association and continue to actively seek ways to reduce our footprint whenever possible.
(5) Customers - From our largest trade customers to first-time consumers in our shops, we strive to give each and every one the opportunity to engage with us directly, giving us invaluable feedback which influences our product and service development.
In November 2022, B Corp celebrated its 1000th UK B Corp. We are proud to join a community of over 5000 companies worldwide, all committed to improving and upholding the very highest standards of responsibility to the environment and society.
We couldn’t have done it without our customers’ incredible support, so thank you to everyone who has helped us on the way!